You need to buy a new area rug in two cases; either when you are decorating a new space or trying to redecorate or rejuvenate your space. The rug selection process varies in both scenarios. Rugs are quite essential home decor accessory. You can either start from scratch by “start with a rug concept” or you need to select area rug; which goes well with your existing home decor scheme. You are bound to some limitations when you can not update the existing decor. For example when you cannot change the color of walls, or you want to keep the same furniture.
There are a wide variety of area rugs available in the market from transitional oriental to modern contemporary. Area rugs not only enhance the look of your home but will also add warmth and touch of personality to any room. The size of rugs plays the most important role in area rug selection; as we can move for further selection when we know the rug size that is suitable for your space. But with so many rug and runner sizes to choose from, how do you know which size of the area rug is right for your home?
Area rugs size selection is not as difficult as you think, you should follow some simple rules when selecting the one for your space.
Size of Area Rug
So, start with measuring the area where you’ll be placing your rug. You might want to select the minimum and maximum optimal size. A size range will give you a wider selection to choose from. This variation may vary from few inches to few feet depending upon the area. Here are general guidelines for primary rooms:
- In the living/family room, select area rug size that covers at least the length and width of your furniture or the whole furniture arrangement. Generally, any rug between 5×8 – 7×10 is suitable for this area. But, if you want to cover a large area or want to expand the perimeters; then you can also go for 8×11 area rugs.
- For the bedroom, select area rug size that will deliver warmth to your feet; when you first step out of bed on cold mornings. You can use runners at either side of the bed or use large area rugs for pulling all of your style elements together to complete your room decor. You need to be more careful when you are opting for a bold color scheme.
- In the dining room/ dining area, a rug should be large enough to allow space for chairs, even when pulled away from the table. You can select the rug size by measuring your dining table size and then adding two feet in its dimensions.
- For the kid’s nursery/room, you can use 4×6 or 2×5 area rugs in front of crib/ bed and change table respectively. You can use larger rugs in the kids play area.
- In the kitchen, hallway, entrance area you can use runner rugs or 2×5 rugs.
Expert Tip: Use painter’s tape/ ribbon to tape on the area to the size of the rug you’re considering. You can also lay flat old sheet for smaller spaces; this can help you visualize how the size works with your furniture and decor.
Product Information: La Dôle Shaggy Grey Area Rug